Room One is hiring a new position: Family Advocate!
Room One: Room One is a health services and advocacy organization based in the remote Methow Valley of Okanogan County. To achieve our vision of a connected community in which all people have the opportunity thrive, we utilize an approach that meets immediate needs and challenges our community to get upstream of health inequities related to intimate partner violence and teen pregnancy. This dynamic approach includes 1) direct individual and family services, 2) prevention education and 3) advocacy for systems change. Because those most marginalized are at disproportionate risk for poor health outcomes, we position our organization to target the needs and build on the strengths of our most vulnerable community members.
The Family Advocate would be a strategic member of our One-Stop Support Center team. Our One-Stop Support Center provides access to unduplicated direct services like health insurance navigators; domestic violence, youth and family advocates; and mental health counseling. Our prevention programming includes teaching healthy relationships and comprehensive sexual health education across the county and implementing support groups for young women in our schools. In our advocacy work, we lead and collaborate on community initiatives that fundamentally influence well-being and health equity, such as affordable housing, childcare, disaster recovery, and teen-friendly health services.
As we move into our 19th year of operation, we are committed to a bold, responsive and strategic vision for a healthy and violence free future in the Methow Valley and beyond. We are looking for a new team member that is excited about addressing persistent inequities with determination, strategy and heart. Room One has a joyful, connected staff culture and offers flexible, family-friendly hours.
Job Title: Family Advocate
General Description: The Family Advocate leads the implementation of a full range of social work services at Room One to ensure families with young children have access to community resources and pathways to meet self-determined needs. Responsibilities include providing or developing leadership of Room One’s family advocacy program, partnering with community organizations serving young children, providing support services to families facing systemic barriers to wellbeing, developing program resources, and monitoring program outcomes.
Potential Duties & Responsibilities
I. Direct Services
Promote the well-being of Methow Valley families through application of direct support service strategies: assessment, crisis management, referrals, individual strength-based advocacy, and coordination of community services.
· Provide intensive support services to designated families facing systemic barriers to wellbeing, including supporting clients’ in identifying and using their own strengths, navigating social systems, and setting plans for addressing challenges.
- Provide culturally-centered information and referrals to public or private agencies and community services.
- Partner with appropriate community resources to develop strategies to meet identified needs.
· Develop and maintain positive, trusting relationships with clients
II. Program Development and Implementation
Ensure Room One One-Stop Support Center’s Family Advocacy represents highest standards of planning, implementation, and evaluation.
· Participate in development of a model Family Advocacy program
· Develop and monitor partnerships with relevant community organizations and leaders, including a local childcare center, the Department of Child & Family Services, and the school district
· Partner with staff, supervisor, and those we work with to establish, monitor, and evaluate annual program goals
· Identify and participate in training and other opportunities to cultivate excellent direct service skills
· Ensure data is accurately and thoroughly entered in client services systems
III. System Advocacy
Advocate for services and systems that support the well-being of all people living in the Methow Valley.
· Maintain extensive knowledge of community resources
· Support Room One in developing resources sought or needed by designated families through cultivation of community partnerships
· Assist clients in gaining access to formal and informal community resources
· Participate in educating community and strategic partners on systemic barriers families face
· Help create and uphold mechanisms for clients and community members to guide and participate in community change, with specific focus on childcare and housing.
In partnership with Room One team, provide administrative support to ensure success, strategic growth, and clarity of Room One programs
· Continue to develop and implement best practices for managing resources and client files.
· Complete intake forms and progress notes for clients requiring ongoing support.
· Update daily logs and generate reports for weekly staff meetings.
· Assist with Room One marketing of events and client programs.
- Extensive professional experience in social work, human services, or related field
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Ability to empathize and respond calmly in emotionally-charged situations.
- Solid understanding of the issues involved in organizing for social justice, and a strong commitment to meeting the particular challenges facing communities of color, low-income communities, and organizations working in rural communities.
- Experience in advocacy, basic peer counseling, group facilitation, and boundary setting.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs.
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with partners and community members to best support and center the leadership of marginalized people
- Passion for being in a learning environment and critical dialogue
- Strong commitment to building equity through anti-racism and community organizing principles
Wage & Benefits
- 25 hours per week, salary starts at $18/hr DOE
- Includes health insurance, dental, paid sick leave and vacation
- Paid parental leave
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to Adrianne@roomone.org.
For more information call (509) 997-2050.